Each student will be required to pass a written test with a minimum score of 80% in order to successfully complete this course. Upon successful completion of this training course, the student will:
- Identify each type of Limitorque actuator and describe their design and application differences.
- Perform all required preventative maintenance on a Limitorque actuator.
- Perform disassembly, inspection, repair, adjustments, lubrication, and reassembly of Limitorque actuator models SMB-000/00 and SMB 0 through SMB-4.
- Describe Limitorque maintenance updates and how they affect the installation, operation, and maintenance of plant valve actuators.
- Perform troubleshooting of both mechanical and electrical problems on malfunctioning Limitorque actuators
After completing this course, the student will:
- Describe the distinguishing characteristics of SMB-000, SMB-00, SMB-0 – 4, SB, and SBD.
- Describe the lubrication requirements of Limitorque actuators, including the parts requiring lubrication, the authorized types of lubrications and the specified lubrication frequency for the different actuator parts and discuss the hazards and possible consequences of mixing different types of lubricants.
- Describe in detail the mechanical operation of the SMB- 000/00 and SMB-0 through SMB-4 actuators in the motor mode.
- Explain the operation of the actuator in the manual mode, including the purpose and function of the following: Tripper finger assembly, Clutch ring and clutch keys, Declutch shaft and handle, Handwheel and handwheel gear, Trippers, Worm shaft clutch, Worm shaft clutch gear, Handwheel clutch gear, Declutch link, and Declutching shaft torsion spring.• Identify typical failures of Limitorque actuators and explain trouble shooting techniques for mechanical problems.
- Label all parts of a typical Worm/Spring Pack Assembly and describe its operation and function in the actuator.
- Explain the basic electrical control circuit of a Limitorque actuator.
- Explain the operation and function of a typical Torque Switch and Limit Switch and how they interface with the rest of the actuator.
- Explain and demonstrate the procedure for adjusting Limit Switch settings and Torque Switch Calibration/Adjustment.
- Describe and identify the parts and material requirements for a Limitorque actuator to be classified as environmentally qualified.
- Demonstrate the ability to disassemble, inspect, repair, reassemble, and make necessary adjustments on Limitorque actuator models SMB000/00 and SMB-0 through SMB-4.
- Describe the refurbishment inspection procedure for mechanical and electrical components of all Limitorque actuator Models.